After a day of sitting in the retina specialist’s office (torn retinas in both eyes) making an appointment to see a spine specialist and blowing my cork, I decided it was a good idea to write about the things that went right today:
1) The weather was somewhat warm this morning so I rode my trusty Fuji on my hour route. I’ve had the bike for one and half years and it’s performed really well considering my punishing bulk.
2) My Garmin Edge 500 is a neat little computer for the bike. It tracks my route, speed, time, lap times and heart rate via GPS. It’s so easy to use and I can download my info with one click of the mouse.
3) Mark the Starbucks Guy – I occasionally treat my self to s Skinny Mocha on the way to work if, I’ve had a good workout. The problem is I don’t exactly feel very studly ordering a Skinny Mocha especially after I whisper it to the barista and then they shout “Skinny Mocha” to the whole restaurant. Mark saves me the embarrassment by just taking my cup and giving me my beverage without announcing it to the world.
4) Podcasts – I love listening to podcasts on the way to work. Two weeks ago some doo-doo head decided to steal the iPod Nano I hook up to my car stereo out of my glovebox while the car was parked in front of my house. I hope he enjoys using my old third generation iPod. I bought a used one on eBay and I now have to lock my car.
5) My friends at work – I have some amazing friends at work and this morning I wasn’t in the best of moods. I was concerned about my eyes and my brother. All that plus some end of the semester junk put me in a foul mood. I blew my cork a couple of times but luckily my friends understood and gave me a pass.
6) While waiting for my eyes to dilate, I played all sorts of games and listened to music and podcasts on my iPhone. I used to make fun of some close friends who had iPhones when all you could get was AT&T as a carrier. Now that Verizon supports iPhones and I now have one, I find myself addicted.
7) My daughter – My daughter has been around a lot more lately and I really enjoy it. She has my odd sense of humor. She’s been getting healthy and tonight she prepared salmon, couscous and veggies. Yum!!!!
8) Lynn did another sub day today and came home to find me home early. She was really glad I went to the retina doc and immediately ENCOURAGED me to go see the spine doc on my next day off. I have a REALLY good wife. She listened to me gripe about my day and was supportive.
9) Being able to get out and have fun. Despite have a few things wrong physically there’s really not much I can’t do. I can hike, geocache and ride my bike. I can’t lift heavy things and my eyes keep me from mountain biking but other than that I’m pretty lucky. However seeing my brother in the rehab place for the last two months has made me count my blessings and put more effort into my health.
10) Lenny, our terrier, is nutty!!! He went crazy when Lynn gave him a chew bone and grabbed it and ran headfirst into the side of the couch he was so excited.
Here’s to the good things (there are many) that happen in a day!!